Saturday 2 April 2011

It's the Final Countdown

So, three days until I set off on my travels. In some ways this time has come round so quickly, but the last few weeks, however could not have gone slower! I have spent a hell of a lot of time watching television to cope with the boredom of waiting! I got really into The Good Wife, great US courtroom drama series, and once I’d powered through 2 full series’ of that in a matter of days, Gilmore Girls became my life (incredibly guilty pleasure I’m slightly embarrassed to admit).

Despite all this tv watching and general lazing about, I have managed to progress on the travel preparations. I have practiced packing twice (I am a keeno, I realise, but it has made me realise I will definitely need to reassess the clothes situation if I am to avoid sustaining some sort of injury whilst away!), I have had my hair cut in what I hope is whimsical, hippy style- just like the pictures you see in magazines of cool people travelling- and I have been to the dentist so hopefully there will be no need for any emergency dentistry in back of beyond Australia!

Of course, I have been doing some proper preparation as well. I have a rough idea of what I want to see and do in most of the countries I am visiting, based on what people tell me I absolutely must see. So…

Hong Kong: MUST see the Big Buddha (but avoid the charging bull at the bottom, apparently), take a trip on the Star Ferry at night, gamble my spending money away in Macau, check out some of the famous night markets and maybe take a cheeky little trip over the Chinese border to Shenzhen (although I’m still not entirely clear if I need a visa….this trip could have a messy ending!)

New Zealand: MUST do the Coast to coast walk in Aukland, go to Hobbiton, the Lord of the Rings set, aka Matamata, walk the Tongariro Crossing, visit the Franz Josef Glacier and relax at Lake Tekapo. This leg of my trip appears to involve, in my opinion, an unhealthy amount of walking or as the Lonely Planet Guide likes to call it ‘Tramping’ (definitely not what it sounds like) so may have to buy some proper shoes. I don’t think converse will cut it.

Australia: Starting in Melbourne, I am DEFINITELY going to do the neighbours tour, even if it’s for no one else but my superfan Grandma! Then a little road trip along the Great Ocean Road before I hit Sydney. From there I am basically doing the backpackers’ route up the East coast: Byron Bay, Brisbane, Whitsunday Islands and Cairns.

Fiji: MUST lie on a beach for a week.

USA: LA: heard it’s not the nicest bit of California so I’ll try and make friends with the 90210 cast and hit Beverly Hills. If that fails, I’ll probably just lie on a beach again, maybe hit the wineries of the region. Definitely planning a trip to Las Vegas (although according to CSI, there is a high chance that something sinister will happen here), and apparently San Diego is a must see place. Again I might take a cheeky trip over the border to Mexico, although from what I’ve heard, I’m not sure Tiajuana is going to be my cup of tea, but carpe diem, I suppose! Final stop San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge, and Alkatraz.

By this time I’ll probably be so exhausted from slumming it in hostels for 3 months that I’ll be crying to come home. The thought of it at the moment is actually making me take to my bed to stock up on sleep! Then again, I may actually love life on the road and decide not to come back…unlikely, but you never know.

Anyway, I’ll try and keep you all informed over the next 3 months as to how many of my ‘must sees’ I actually get to see. Bet you can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment