Friday 6 May 2011

New Zealand: The Highs. The Lows

I've left the land of the Kiwi's (named after the birds we discovered) and am now officially down under. I thought I'd give a little sum up of the highs and lows of our New Zealand adventure, so...

Highs:
Colin the campervan, of course. It goes without saying that he was the hero of the holiday. So trustworthy, didn't break down once despite the slight battering we gave his left wing mirror.

Location-wise, Queenstown was by far the best place we stayed, purely for its young, lively vibe. The mighty Fergburgers also played a role in shooting this town to number one, along with the teapot cocktails that we slightly regretted the next day. Wellington came a close second though, again for the fact that there was a bit more life in the city and it actually contained more than a petrol station and convenience store.

We saw so many beautiful things, and of all the tourist attractions we visited, Milford Sounds was the one that definitely lived up to the hype. Truly beautiful and so peaceful. The drive to Wanaka was also amazing. The scenery was so dramatic mountains and waterfalls surrounding the road. Incredibly awe inspiring and has actually made me want to sit down and watch Lord of the Rings (possibly even the extended version) which I would never normally contemplate doing.

Lows:
Well the main one was the lack of shower. Going three days without a shower was a novelty at first, but after the third time I just felt disgusting. Also, the stealth missions into hostels just to use the facilities did get rather tiring after a while.

Another low was the weather. Although it didn't rain all the time it was permanently cold, and none of us were really prepared clothes wise. Night times were the worst as Colin literally turned into a freezer- you could see your breath. The weather did add to the atmospheric feel of the place though allowing for some very dramatic photos.

All in all though, the three weeks in New Zealand were really good fun. I would definitely recommend the whole campervanning experience as it makes getting around such a sparsely populated country so much easier. I think the girls would agree with me too.

So now I'm in Australia, starting the next leg of my adventure alone. Don't worry though, I've only been here for one night and have already made a couple of friends and consumed far more alcohol than I ever intended to. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment